The Business of Blogging – Backstage

It’s a question that I get a lot, from vendors and brides who know that they have something special in the wedding that they are submitting, but they also know that we get around 400 weddings per week in our inboxes. Yes, that’s 400…though the real number falls anywhere between 250-500 depending on the season).

So how do you ensure that your wedding is not only seen, it’s also accepted? Here are ten best practices that will REALLY improve your chances…

1. PACKAGE your submission according to our guidelines. We have taken a ton of time building a submissions tool that really allows us to streamline things. It gives you a space for your images, a place to upload videos, an area for a description and a vendor credit spot. FILL THEM ALL OUT. If we have to chase down information, we generally put it on the back burner until we have time to devote to it. Which could take months.The good news is that blogs are generally similar in their guidelines, so if you do the work once and you’re wedding doesn’t make the cut, it will already be packaged up and ready to go for other blogs. Here is an example of a PERFECT submission…

Things to note…103 images, carefully curated. Location in the title. Intro from the vendor. Description from the bride. Complete vendor list. All of these things together and we were able to approve this for publication in less than a minute.

2. SELECT good images that tell the story of the day. Include up to about 60-150 images that really highlight the best parts of the day. We need images that show the bride, her fashions, the maids, the groom, the flowers, centerpieces, decor elements, favors, invitations, etc. WE DO NOT WANT too many images of the guests dancing or smoking cigars, no matter how beautiful they are. Those types of images really don’t resonate well with our readers.

3. DESCRIBE the day. The description should be from the bride if possible. If not, from the florist, planner or designer. Within the description we want you to include the inspiration behind the day, the special touches that made this wedding extra lovely, the sources where some of the great details were found, any DIY projects that were done. The more info we have, the better.

4. SHARE THE LOCATION. Include a city +  state in the title of your submission. This allows us to ensure that we are covering all areas of the US. If we get a wedding from the Midwest, we are more likely to look at it in greater depth because we are lacking in those areas. If we get a wedding that took place in an area where we have a Local Blog, it will improve your chances of publication.

5. CHOOSE images carefully. Although we publish far more images than a magazine spread, we also carefully curate the types of images that we put up.We love images that fall in the same photographic style rather than a mix of styles. We also like images that fall in the same color story. It makes far more of an impact online if the images flow beautifully together. Check out the submission above and you can see how the images really fall into the same color and style so that crafting a beautiful feature will be SUPER easy.

6. EDITED PHOTOGRAPHS are really, really, REALLY important. We like images that are clean, simple and don’t have any particular art effect to them. We do not publish many black and whites unless it’s a feature on the photography. We do not publish images that are too busy or have too much going on in them. Although we totally get that there are many different types of photography styles, we also are inclined to fall more in love with photographs that are shot in a magazine style approach. I am going to have a photographer come on backstage soon and go into greater depth with this one.

7. BE NICE. And this is off the record of course. But we really like it when people are nice, approachable and easy to work with. There have been so many instances where a vendor was particularly rude to us after being declined, or after it has taken us a while to give them an answer. And although there is by no means a “nice” rule on SMP, we always remember the ones that are mean and it is taken into consideration when we see another of their weddings come through the door. Same goes for the people that we love…we remember those that are gracious, kind and fun to work with and are more inclined to reach out to them for content calls.

8. READ our blog and select the weddings that you want to submit carefully. It’s so obvious to us when a submittor doesn’t read our blog and sends in a wedding that is so far off the quality of the weddings that we publish. Or when they just slap together a bunch of weddings from the previous season and hope that one of them sticks. We want to know that you have carefully selected a wedding for publication on SMP because you know that it’s one our brides will resonate with.

9. THINK UNIQUE. We are desperate (singing from the rooftops desperate) for the following types of weddings…gorgeous ballrooms without a ton of dripping crystals and a focus on total style, modern affairs with simple but stellar details, brides of all colors, sizes and shapes that reflect our true readership, new approaches to old styles (ie…show me an awesome new way to approach a barn wedding), indoor affairs and weddings that really represent a particular city in their style (not in a theme way). We see so many weddings every day they are starting to all look the same. If there is a unique angle, it will definitely catch our attention.

10. ASK. Don’t be afraid to ask why a submission was declined. We are MORE than happy to share so that you can better understand what we are looking for next time. Although there are plenty of cases where we’re simply oversaturated with one type of wedding, more often than not there is a specific reason why your submission was declined. Just make sure you have a bit of a tough skin and are willing to really hear us out.

So there you have it. There is so much more that goes in to curating a blog like SMP and I’ll make it a point to go into greater detail in future posts. But this is a good first look at our best practices. Remember that we WANT you to get published. We WANT you to send in weddings that get a ton of coverage and attention on SMP. So the more you stick to these general rules, the better for everyone involved!

Have questions? Ask away, I’m here all day!!

188 Responses to “Getting Your Wedding Out of the Slush Pile”

1. JCL says:

Thank you for #9. I’m still a year away from getting married, but as a blogger myself, I’ve been thinking about asking my photographer to work with me on a submission when it’s all said and done. However, there’s a part of me that thinks we aren’t pretty enough for wedding blogs. Maybe there’s room for some not-so-perfect looking couples who have an interesting, unique wedding to share.

2. kate says:

What a fabulous post…great tips! I will definitely use these when submitting my wedding next year.

3. Erin McGinn says:

Thank you thank you Abby!!! So great to know the little details on what you are looking for!

4. Thank you so much for taking the time to post these suggestions and insights! Hopefully this will increase the efficiency of both people submitting and reduce your workload with more appropriately submitted packages. We look forward to submitting many more weddings, but we’ll be sure to adhere to these kinds of guidelines closely! :)
    -katie

5. Excellent tips! Thank you for sharing. Have been working on getting The French Bouquet’s gorgeous designs on SMP lately and now I have some helpful tips with which to work now. Yay!

Cheers,
    Savannah

6. SMLK says:

Dear Abby, can we just reply to the confirmation e-mail about denial? Thank you very much for being so open. At times I still do feel like I am in high school and afraid to ask questions thinking other students will laugh at me :) Hopefully I can learn and improve more!

7. Abby Larson says:

Yep! The email goes to myself (usually) or one of the editors so absolutely just reply. DONT be shy. It’s important to learn from a decline so that your next one get’s picked up. The world of blog publication is pretty new so everyone is still learning. Us included!

8. Thanks so much for taking time to provide these tips. I’m one who is hungry to see more diverse, indoor weddings on SMP (especially since most of my clients have that kind of wedding) and these insights are really helpful. I hope you guys rest your eyes often around there! So many beautiful submissions!

9. anastasia says:

Thank you for this article! So helpful, especially as the season really comes into full swing. Good luck wading through everything!

10. First off, @JCL, don’t ever feel like you aren’t pretty enough to be published on a blog – just don’t even think that way!! You are going to be a gorgeous bride and no matter if your wedding is accepted to 1 or 100 blogs, as long as you and hubby say “I do” at the end of the day, that is all that matters!

Second, I love this post, Abby, thank you for putting it out there, it is perfect timing for a submission I am working on, and I appreciate the candidness and honesty of what goes on in the back-end of SMP!

Have a great day, ladies :)

11. Em says:

Thank you so much for this insightful post! I read it over lunch as that’s when I check out SMP…perhaps something that caught my eye was that you mentioned the MidWest! I myslef, am sending some love from good Ol’ Ohio!

12. Craig says:

Craig
    lusterstudios.com

13. Thank you SO much for this! I’ve photographed over 100 weddings to date and have always wanted to submit my work. I was never really certain if my style fit in with SMP viewers for fear that it might be too “fun” or “edgy”? I hope to pick my best one and submit soon if you think I might fit in? Either way I’ve enjoyed the blog and the effort you put into it for a LONG time! I try to shoot for myself and for the couple and will hopefully find the perfect fit to be featured.

Craig
    lusterstudios.com

14. Betsy says:

Great tips – my wedding is in 24 days at Garden of the Gods club and I think that it’d fit great with all of you. It’s a smaller wedding, many – many – many DIY parts of my wedding, and a lot of family pieces!! I come here every day to take screenshots for ideas! Thanks so much for helping me make my wedding perfect!

15. I will now be turning away brides unless they are having an epic ballroom wedding. Got your back, SMP.

:P

daniel.

16. ken kienow says:

this is an awesome post…thanks so much for the info. it’ll be really helpful for future submissions. :)

17. Damaris Mia says:

Love it! Such great advice :) You should do one on how to submit inspired shoots to blogs :)

18. Abby, thank you so much for taking the time to list in-detail your needs! Will be sending a wedding to you soon ;)

19. Meghan Allen says:

Hello – I am working on my submission and would like to save it and come back to it. Is that OK? I don’t see a “submit” button anywhere, so I am afraid when I hit SAVE it will send my incomplete submission. Thanks! Meghan

20. Katie says:

Where do I submit e-sessions?

21. GIna says:

Loved your detailed suggestions and will be sending something your way soon!

22. Missy says:

Thank you for these wonderful suggestions. Just wondering how long it generally takes to hear back from SMP regarding if the wedding will be published? Thanks for your response!

23. Abby Larson says:

It kind of depends on when you submit. Some weeks it’s 2-4 days, others it’s 2-4 weeks. We try really hard to go through submissions within a week of receiving them.

24. Missy says:

Great! Thanks Abby. Also, just curious if we would hear back whether it will be published or not. I appreciate your info!

25. Abby Larson says:

yep we always give you an answer one way or another.

26. Camille says:

Hi!
    Just an extra question: we got married in France last April 23. I know that you do not cover our “zone” but I love your blog and got lots of inspiratino from it.

Is it worth it for me to fill all these steps, or I don’t have any chance to be casted because of our location??

Thanks for your answer and keep choosing these marvelous wedding pictures, they make everyone dream!

27. Hello!
    Just wondering…..are people from outside of the States (e.g Photographers, Brides) allowed to submit? I’m from little old New Zealand but would love to share some of our gorgeous weddings with you! <3

28. Rupa says:

Hi Abby,

I have a really unique situation – I photographed two Indian weddings and the events before/after the weddings recently. The weddings were of two twin sisters’ who shared several of the events and had two separate but beautiful weddings within a day of one another!

I know that a submission is supposed to include just one wedding, however, I feel like I have this “unique-case” scenario that would be best showcased together. What are your thoughts on how I should best approach this if I decide to submit to SMP?

Thanks so much for your consideration!

29. Julia says:

I have a question: do SMP accept engagement pictures for the submission in order to be published or they only request wedding pictures?

Julia

30. Tait says:

Hey Julia, we accept engagement photos too. Anything wedding related that we feel is SMP-worthy goes up on the blog.

31. Tim says:

Hi Julia,
    Just wondering if content exclusivity includes the photographer’s own website/blog?
    Tim

32. Sarah Fyffe says:

Do you accept submissions from Ireland? I have a quaint irish Castle wedding.

Sarah

33. federica says:

Hi!
    Just wanted to ask, how long is the average delay before you answer to submission ?
    By the way, do you decline formally, or do we have to understand by ourselves if no answer is sent ?! ;)
    Thank you a lot!

34. Jana Marler says:

Wow, this is the most helpful page I have seen from any blog or website about submitting a wedding. Thank YOU for taking the time out to help us get the best results to you. It’s a pleasure working with you!

35. Bonjour!
    I have one question regarding exclusivity.
    Since I work with international clients in other countries, I have opportunities to get my wedding featured on foreign-language blogs. Is that an issue for you? I feel like the exclusivity should be restricted to blogs in english, since the audience and market are different. Please let me know.
    Many thanks for your reply.

mademoiselle fiona

36. abby larson says:

Hey Tim…photographer’s own websites are fine…as long as no other blogger picks up the wedding and publishes without your knowledge. Which is something that happens a lot actually.

Hey Sarah…we accept submissions from anywhere! Ireland included!

Hey Federica…we try to answer within about 4 weeks time. Sometimes it is a bit longer, others much shorter mainly depending on how many we have in our queue. Right now we have around 400 to review so we’re a bit backlogged. Either way, you’ll definitely get a response.

Hi Fiona…we have a very strong international audience so ideally, we would have complete exclusivity. With that said, we’re happy to make exceptions if there really isn’t a conflict. So I’d have to say that we would review that on a case by case basis.

37. Jessica says:

Hi there, I am getting ready to submit wedding photos, but they ended up getting out of order as I was resizing. You can certainly tell what was happening throughout the day, but would you prefer them in the order they were taken? Thanks!

38. Thanks so much for this post, its amazingly helpful. I am planning to submit something to you soon so will be making sure to follow your recommendations. I do like point 10 though, its always great to know reasons why something hasnt worked so you can learn for next time.
    thanks, fiona

39. Lindsay says:

Thank you for this post! I just received my wedding photos from my October wedding and the first thing I wanted to do is submit to SMP. I still read it even after “I Do”:) Your tips are really helpful!

40. Alexandria says:

Hello Abby!

I’m a HUGE fan of SMP! I am getting ready to submit my engagement photos and I am trying to ensure that I follow all of the guidelines. About the color story, I took photos in 3 different locations and had 3 different outfits ( all appropriate to the location) but with different colors. Should I just select photos from 1 location? Thanks!

41. Just submitted my first wedding ever and I am very excited! I love SMP and it has been one of my dreams for my work to be featured! Cross your fingers!!!

42. Lawrence says:

Hi Abby,

I have a client that hired me for a wedding and two receptions. yes, two receptions a week after each other. They had an Americanized wedding and reception and a Chinese reception.. May i combine the two in my submission?

Thanks!

43. Holly says:

Hi Abby,
    Wondering if you ever have caterers submit? We feel like the food is such an integral part of the wedding and work very closely with all our couples to create an amazing and unique day. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

44. Dan Scott says:

We have partnered with Sterling Corp (Jared and Kay Jewelers and their .coms) and wanted to extend an exclusive, national consumer promotion to Abby and her team on this wonderful site.

Please contact Dan Scott, CMO, Scott Kay at
    danscott@scottkay.com
    for additional information.

45. Sophie says:

Hello!

I’m a bride who having read and loved this blog (so much so that I still read it weekly, months after getting married!), would love to submit my wedding photos (the reception took place at a beautiful, war-damaged, ballroom in Berlin, Germany). A couple of questions:

1. As to the exclusivity rule: our photographer has published a few photos from the wedding on his website, does that exclude me from submitting?

2. A friend, also a great photographer, took some detail shots that I would love to include – can I submit images from two photographers?

Thanks for all the inspiration!

46. Christina says:

I just completed a collaboration with some local vendors for a very unique tablescape that I would like to submit. However, the minimum submission of 60 photos seems a little much for a project like this.

Are you just not interested in featuring unique tablescapes and would prefer actual weddings? Is that why the minimum images is set at 60?

Thanks.

47. Lauren says:

Just wondering how long after you accept a wedding it takes to be posted!

48. I have a submission that has been featured. It is really too beautiful not to share..It was featured on a wedding section of a national non wedding publication’s website. If I place the information in the submission information will that help you weigh whether you would submit or does that exclude it all together because it has been previously published?

49. Bogdan says:

Hi, how many photos is ideal to submit for an engagement session? Thank you!

50. Jane says:

Hi Abby, thank you for sharing such helpful advice. The last wedding I photographed was so full of delicate DIY beauties that I would really love to submit an entry.
    Do you ever consider a collection, i.e. Themed engagement shoot that flowed into the wedding? Or do you prefer the occasions separated for an entry?
    Thanks again! SMP keeps me inspired.

51. Tait says:

Abby wrote a new post talking about how to create a great wedding submissions

5 Tips For Making Your Wedding Submission Even Better

52. This is such a fantastic post! Thank you so much for taking the time to create this breakdown!

53. Kerrianne Burke says:

How do I post engagement picture submission? We just received our pictures back from an awesome shoot in the Boston Gardens and Beacon Hill.l…l

54. Tait says:

Hey Kerrianne,

You would just use the regular submission server.

Upload photos, provide credits and a description. We love a good engagement photo shot.

55. Kay says:

Hi, I’ve been a long time reader of SMP and would like to submit our upcoming July 2nd wedding for a feature. I am just curious as to whether the “status” of vendors has any influence on the final decision? For example, does SMP usually only accept submissions from well-established wedding photographers? My brother-in-law is our photographer and he’s a young and incredibly talented nature and action photographer. But he hasn’t done a lot of weddings as of yet (he’s only 25 and starting out!). I’ve seen the weddings he has done and I think his style would fit in with SMP perfectly. Plus, I’m a bride of colour and my hubby-to-be and I are an interracial couple, which I feel is rarer in wedding blogs…so I’m hoping we’ll get picked :)

56. Kirsten Thornante says:

Thank you so much for these amazing tips in both of these article. I am working on submitting my own fabulous wedding for your review and these articles were super helpful in the editing process!

57. This is a response to the first comment!
    Beautiful people do not create beautiful images, emotional content does! If you choose a photographer that has the ability to connect with you and makes you feel good hire them!! Every photographer is different and this is why it is so important to choose someone who you connect with. Weddings are not about photography but photography is about weddings if that makes sense. All you have to do is love the person you are with and have a great time with your guests and wedding party, the photographer will do the rest.
    As a wedding photographer I come across this fairly often and when people choose the right one for them they are amazed by the results!!!

58. Amber says:

Hi! Quick question: what if the photos/description of the day were published on the bride’s own personal blog that has a small community of readers (mostly friends and family)?

Thanks!

59. Jacqueline Fieldhouse-Korpershoek says:

Dear Abby,

I would love to send the pictures in of our june wedding, but I’m not a US resident. I live in the Netherlands with my British husband. Is that something that would keep you from posting?
    SMP is really on a whole nother level when it comes to weddinginpiration, thank you so much for all your effort!

60. We were recently featured on SMP, and boy are we happy!!!! Just one question, a wedding magazine in Sweden have emailed and wants to publish that wedding, is it ok to do so or is the wedding blocked from all publications forever after it has been featured on SMP? Thank you for making the BEST wedding inspiration blog in the world! Kind Regards / Isabelle from 2 Brides Photography

61. kid chan says:

Thank you for and awesome post. Do you accept international Destination weddings from South East Asia nation?

62. Nicole says:

Hi Abby,
    When I select and upload my photos for submission, the pictures do not appear in the order I selected them. Therefore, the pictures of my wedding day are not in sequential order from getting ready to the reception. Will this matter when judging whether my wedding will be chosen or not? Or, is there something I can do to correct this?
    Thanks so much!

63. Mara says:

Hi Abby,

My wedding was selected to go up on the California blog and I’m super excited about it so thank you so much. I was just wondering about how long does it take for the post to appear? Not that it matters. I’m just, of course, very anxious to see it up there :)

Thanks again,
    Mara

64. Sarah Fyffe says:

Hi,

I am planning to submit a real life wedding. It hasn’t been featured anywhere else but I have published it on my blog and I was wondering if that disqualifies it from submission?

Thanks

Sarah

65. Clarissa says:

Great post. Thanks yo so very much for taking the time to explaining the whole procedure. Very helpful!

66. Dear Abby :)

Just wondering if you accept unpublished weddings from a year ago? What if they are published only on our blog??

Thanks!

Whitney

67. Megan says:

How do you feel about photographs that have the photographer’s logo on the bottom left hand corner?

68. Very informative! Thanks! Eager to submit soon.

69. Abby says:

If a wedding is already on pinterest, will it still be considered? Can a submission include the couple’s story, ie engagement, bridal, and wedding session? Thanks!

70. Charne says:

Hi Abby

Thank you for the tips. Do you accept weddings from South Africa? I am getting married in 2 months time and would love to submit my special day as a lot of my inspiration came from SMP.
    Thanx

71. Thanks Abby for being so detailed in your requirements. We look forward to submitting weddings in the near future.

Best,
    New York Wedding Photographer, Roberto Falck

72. Thanks Abby for being so detailed in your requirements. We look forward to submitting weddings in the near future.

Best,
    New York Wedding Photographer, Roberto Falck

73. Shireen Louw says:

Hi

I am a Wedding Photographer from Cape Town, South Africa and I will definitely be submitting some weddings! LOVE SMP!!!

74. Hi,
    I am an event designer. I am wondering would you accept images of stylish event details with out any images of the bride and groom and wedding party?

75. Raouth Abulil says:

Hi!

If we want to submit a destination wedding, where do we submit it?

Thank you for your time!

{love}

76. Hi SMP!
    This is my question: in case of the photos of the wedding will be accepted, is there something to pay?
    Thank you for your time!

77. Kristen Jeffers says:

Should the photos be in any particular order? I had my photos organized in order of the day’s events (getting ready, ceremony, reception, etc), but when I uploaded them to the submission tool, the order was lost. Should I start again uploading photos one-by-one so they stay in the correct order?

Thanks!

78. Katie Baer says:

Greetings,
    I am coordinating my best friends bridal shower and would love to submit her event for your blog.
    A few questions…I am an independent event manager so I am the “vendor” personally and doing this for her as her matron of honor. The only other vendor will be the restaurant where we are holding the event. Does this suffice – or do you need submissions with multiple vendors?
    Since it is a shower and not the actual wedding I want to make sure all the same criteria applies.
    Your feedback and answers are appreciated.

Thanks so much,

79. Do you have guidelines to submit engagement photos?
    Thanks!

80. Katie Dougan says:

Hello lovely SMP!

Whilst planning my November wedding last year, your blog had a daily visit from me as I loved to swoon over the weddings you feature.

I have a couple of questions. Would you be interested in featuring a wedding from the South Coast of England in a castle by the beach? I am sure I remember seeing a few UK weddings on here but thought I would check! I actually sourced and shipped by bridesmaid dresses over from the United States and my dress was by Tara Keely!

Can I, the bride, submit our wedding?

Thanks in advance.

81. Alicia Flanagan says:

Hi – I’m getting married in Lake Bled, Slovenia (Europe).
    The Church is on an island in the middle of the lake.

Would this be something you would cover or does it need to be in the US?

Thanks

82. Hope Nelson says:

Hello, I am interested in submitting my wedding video. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED a video of a wedding you guys posted a couple of years ago and wanted to see if I could submit mine to you guys. Would I follow the same guidelines and post the same amount of pictures on the submission tool? Thanks

83. Kirby says:

Hi there!

Is this where I would submit my engagement session as well? Just got the photos back and would love to have them featured!

Thanks!
    Kirby

84. Tait says:

Yup. You would submit it to the same place.

85. If the bride did not have a wedding planner, and really did a lot of the organizing of the wedding herself, may she submit the wedding?

Also, if she has her own blog would you recommend that she not post any photos on her blog until she has heard from you all as to whether you accepted or declined her submission?

Thank you!

86. I have some really great weddings coming up that you guys are going to love. Glad you had more info regarding submissions. Look forward to submitting soon!

87. Great guide for all wedding photographers! Thanks SMP.

88. Tait says:

We cover weddings from all over the world. Please do submit your big day!

89. Hi! I’m interested in submitting a styled wedding shoot to SMP for the first time, but I have a question: What are the rules about social media…facebook, instagram, etc.? Is it ok if other vendors post a picture of the event? Please let me know :) Thanks!

90. Tait says:

Taylor, posting pictures from the event on social media, either before they are featured on the blog or after (as a way to market the feature), is absolutely fine.

91. Hi! Is there a way to check on a submission…to see if it has been accepted/declined or an approximate amount of time to expect while waiting? I know you are super busy, I am just not sure of the smp process
    Thank you!
    -c-

92. lynsey frazer says:

Hi do you take submissions from scotland? I used SMP for years to plan my wedding and would to have my wedding listed.

93. Helen Wilner says:

Hi there,

Do you accept international submissions?
    I’m from London, UK and had a locally sourced, vintage style wedding and would love to submit to your site!

Kind regards,

H x

94. Tait says:

We love weddings from around the world. Anywhere works. We’re just looking for any wedding that’s beautiful and inspiring!

95. Nelissa says:

Hi there, do you accept photos that have watermarks imprinted by the photographer? I see that Christian Oth Photography has it but most of the photos published here are clean. My photographer insists on putting his watermark on his work. Will you rule out a submission if the photos are watermarked? Thanks.

96. Dani says:

I have a question regarding submitting pictures – I uploaded them and now they are all out of order – can you manipulate the order of the pictures?

97. Hello, just wondering if you accept gay weddings? I have a gay wedding where the two men getting married have eight bridesmaids each and are all in white, thought it may be a bit different. Thanks.

98. Tait says:

Hey Genelle! We’re really looking for the best weddings. We don’t use the sexual orientation of the couple when deciding which weddings to feature. We accept and publish many gay weddings each year.

99. Tait says:

Hey Dani,

On the top left of the screen you can sort images if they are numbered. We’re rewriting our submissions server now. Drag and drop ordering will be a feature in the new version.

100. Harp says:

I’m wondering if you only accept real weddings or if you are interested in
    unique concept designscape editorials as well? I would like to submit a very unique and culturally infused editorial style shoot that could provide some great inspiration for couples who would like to host a “Bollywood or Sultan’s Tent” style event.

101. Hi Abby,
    Thank you for this insightful post! My wedding photographers (4eyesphotography) submitted my wedding about a month ago but didn’t ask me for a written description or list of vendors–is it too late to send those in to accompany my photos? We had a very classic, old-New York wedding in Manhattan the Saturday after Hurricane Sandy so I think it would be a great story to share (and I may be biased, but the pictures are gorgeous too).

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information to up my chances of being featured! Thank you!!

102. Harp says:

I’m wondering if you only accept real weddings or if you are interested in

103. Tait says:

We take it all. Weddings, engagement shoots. Styled shoots.

Now that we have a living site, just about anything goes.

104. Pia says:

Hi,

Just wondering if you would accept a wedding from last year? We had a busy year relocating back to Australia after 15 year o/s and are just now feeling I have the tie to put together the kind of submission that makes your life easier to go through. We were married on Sydney Harbor Australia and had a wonderful photographer from California shoot the wedding.

Thank You!

105. Farah says:

Hi I did not have a wedding planner, my wedding was overseas and I planned it with my husband, and really did a lot of the organizing of the wedding myself may I submit the wedding?

Thank you!

106. Christian says:

Hello,

We do wedding cinematography in Washing DC and the region and were wondering: Is it absolutely required for us cinematographers to submit photos along with submissions? Obviously if it is, that’d be unfair especially if the tables were turned on photographers to do the same for video ;-)

What “specific qualities” make a teaser/video worthy of publishing on your blog?

Thanks in advanced for the advice!

107. Patty says:

Hi,

I noticed you didn’t mention the groom as a possible writer for the description. My husband is an excellent writer with an artistic eye and would like to put together the submission. Will you allow a submission from the groom instead?

Many thanks,
    Patty

108. Dana Smyl says:

Hello there! I’m just wondering if you accept Wedding floral work? I have just finished designing some beautiful and unique flowers for a wedding and had them photographed personaly. Do you accept only floral work? Or does it have to be a full wedding?
    Dana Smyl

109. Stewart Uy says:

Hello!

thank you for this fabulous amount of information! My one question is, when you reject a submission, do you inform the submitter or is this something you just let time tell?

Thanks!
    Stewart

110. judith marra says:

Hi, I was wondering if you accept weddings from other countries? Like New Zealand? Our wedding featured alot of DIY and was really different. If there is no chance of acceptance I wont bother wasting anyones time.
    You have an amazing site by the way1 simply stunning.
    xx

111. Roz Skinner says:

Thank you so much for the good advice, Abby. I love wedding blogs and this submissions guide is full of excellent tips! I look forward to implementing them all in the future, and am saving this page to favourites!

112. Absolutely magic advice, it’s easy to sense the level of passion and quality that goes into your site. While there is a lot of effort involved in submitting, when I hear you receive 400+ submissions a week (WOW!!) it’s necessary.

113. Dear all hello.
    Congratulations on the work that you do, SMP is the number one tool that gives us inspiration for our weddings. I would like to ask if we could submit a destination wedding form another country, such as my country Greece. Thank you very much for your time and response.
    Sincerely,
    Vasso Vantali

114. Hi Abby,
    Thank you for being very specific with what you prefer in a submission. I have not submitted any of my weddings in the past until today! My question is – I have some pretty great, unique weddings and wedding related photoshoots that I have photographed in the past and I would love to submit them for publication. Is there a time limitation for when the wedding took place and when it can be submitted?
    Thanks,
    Leslie

115. Kristie says:

Hi,
    I submitted my wedding over the weekend. How long until I hear about your decision?

Thanks,
    Kristie

116. Anu says:

Hi,

I was wondering if you accept documentary style wedding videos? If so, what are the procedures to submit them to you?

Thanks,
    Anu

117. Taylor Ann says:

Hi Abby,

I have a question about exclusivity. I have my own personal (fashion) blog, if I post about my engagement shoot or my wedding on there, would that prevent me from sending a submission to SMP?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

xo – Taylor

118. Law says:

Finally some thing really worth reading on the net. Good content is progressively difficult to locate nowadays.

119. Krista says:

If you pick a wedding for SMP, would a national magazine be allowed to print it later on, or would you prefer not?

120. Luna Gainza says:

im a Wedding Photographer that understand what you are saying on that all the weddings start to look a like. i had the same issue taking destination wedding pictures did +300 alredy. But even that some brides shared 1 week in the same Hotel, their pictures turn out totally different and all af them well amazed by their wedding pictures.
    Focusing in the emotions and setting my guidelines depending on the moment and the natural light of their context. I think you should add on your guidelines something related to the importance of this commitment and the proof through the pictures and videos of the wedding day to share and make a stronger link in their families.

121. Kate says:

What a great article.

Is the bride allowed to make the entire submission herself? Thanks!

122. Thank you for the guidence! Very helpful. Super stoked to share our wedding shortly with you! X

123. Hi!

What is the best way to request an update for a submission that was submitted 4+ weeks ago? The status of my submission, at one point, said ‘Review’, and I now notice that the status field of my submission is blank.

Thanks for your help in advance, I appreciate it!

124. Good tips for jewelery photography.

125. Hello SMP!!

I want to submit my own wedding (I was the wedding planner/designer for it) but I don’t know if my photographer already did and it was declined or if it wasn’t submitted at all.. Etc.

How would I know this info? :) thank you

126. daniela says:

Hello SMP!
    we are trying to submit a wedding. We’d like to know if it’s allowed to send photos with logos on them (Photgrapher’s one)

thank you very much!

127. Tabitha says:

Hello :)

I am very keen on submitting a wedding in Cape Town, South Africa. I see that you mentioned submissions should include cities and states in the US. Does this mean that non-US weddings are less likely to be considered? It is not a destination wedding – I am a photographer based in South Africa :)

Thanks so much!

Tabitha

128. Frammenti says:

Hi, I need to know if you are interested in fashion wedding shootings. We are creating a really cool long term campaign in this way and we would really proud to show our work on your site. Thanks in advance.

129. Peta says:

As a seasoned blogger myself, I was truly impressed with your content. Keep it going I love a good wedding read, it brings me back to my special day.

Many Thanks

130. Jenny says:

When I uploaded my photos they were all out of order . . . I manually changed the order, but it won’t save my changes. Everytime I refresh it goes back to the “out of order” version. Please let me know if and how I can rearrange the photo order.

Also, how do i know when i’ve submitted it? download?

thank you so much!!!

Jenny

131. Thank you so much for such a detail information how to submit wedding to your blog. We have many beautiful weddings and look forward sharing them with you.

Warmly,

Tomas Skaringa
    thebigaffair.com

132. SGQ says:

Is there a good way to follow up to see if the submission will be posted? I’d love to follow up tip #10.
    Thanks!

133. Kelly says:

Hello,

I publish my weddings on my photography business blog, does this exclude me from submitting to SMP?

134. CWG says:

Hi,

I love SMP, so much! I was wonder if I should submit a wedding, even when you already have a post from the same location. Of course, the view is totally different, but I’d like to know if this is could be a reason for decline before submitting. Thank you :)

135. Liz besanson says:

I have a brand new wedding blog site and stumbled upon this blog today. I’m looking to connect with other wedding bloggers and would live to submit some work here! Great tips I will be sending in some work soon. I really enjoyed my time on this site today!! Liz

136. Steph says:

Hi there! I submitted my wedding about 2 months ago and the status has not changed/updated. How do I know if the submission will still be reviewed? Not sure if I submitted incorrectly or if the SMP team is completely backlogged with submissions to still be reviewed. Thank you and happy holidays!!

137. Sarah says:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of these thoughtful tips. Myself and my friend are just starting out as a floral company and we will be submitting our recent Winter photoshoot. Please keep your eye out! We admire and appreciate the work that you do immensely.

138. John Cruz says:

I am a photographer based in Australia,I am trying to submit a My wedding photography. We’d like to know if it’s allowed to send photos with logos on them.

Thanks so much!

139. Daniel says:

Seems like a lengthy process…

140. Sarah H. says:

As a new bride thinking about submitting my wedding…do I need permission from all of the vendors I used? Thanks!

141. Melissa says:

Is there a deadline for submission? I got married in Prague, Czech Republic, in June and I’m just getting everything together now! Is it too late?

142. Nell Millard says:

I would like to submit my wedding. I cannot find where to submit it. When I push “Submit your wedding”, all I get is a dashboard with guidelines. Thanks!

Nell

143. Emily says:

This was awesome! Thank you for all the tips and help!

144. Thanks I am just about to post my first wedding related to weddings in nottingham so fingers crossed here we go!

145. Jordan says:

What do you think about a same-sex styled shoot? Would SMP post it?

146. Good info – will try and do all these next time

147. I was just reading your articles about wedding submission and trust me You have maintained it really very well.I will try must.
    Thanks

148. Thank You for clarifying #9, Brides of all colors, sizes, and shapes. I am an African American Planner and recent bride (December Vow Renewal) that would be delighted to have our wedding featured on SMP. Feeling confident about future submissions. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

149. Jeanine Rose says:

Thank you for the super clear guidelines. So thorough and thoughtfully put. Thank you!

150. Nicole says:

It would be my awesome experience If I could submit a wedding here..

151. Bella says:

What a load of pompous rubbish. I cant understand why any bride would be so desperate to submit their wedding to this blog. Talk about dictatorship. Have you ever thout that the reason a lot of weddings look the same is because this is what you are feeding to people?

152. Suzie says:

These are great tips. Do you have any advice especially for submitting video? Thank you!

153. Rashmi says:

How I can submit wedding here…?

154. Alexia says:

Hi. Just wondering…. Do you only accept weddings from the US?

155. Steven says:

Hi, i have submitted a wedding but it has declined. Can you please let me know the reason of being declined? here is the link of my submission http://www.stylemepretty.com/submissions/submission/27656/

Please let me know asap.

Thanks

156. Hi! I recently submitted a wedding that was declined and I was hoping you could give me some feedback on why it was so I can increase my chances next time. Thank you so much. All the best. Nathan

PS, here’s the link to my submission:

Thanks again!

157. Emily says:

I’m getting married in 3 weeks (eek!) and I’d love to see my pictures on your blog. However, due to family and personal reasons we’ve had to do it on a bit of a budget. Although we’re getting married in the same place as Prince Charles and Camilla, I feel like our wedding might not be as glamourous or with as many gorgeous details as the weddings I look at every day (not joking – literally every day) on here. Is there any point me submitting mine? At the end of the day we’re just happy to be marrying each other but if there is a chance I could see ours on your blog (which has helped me keep my sanity through all the planning!) that would really make my day.

158. Hi!

I’m a cake designer and wanted to know if there was a way to submit my work without it being part of a wedding or styled shoot (I take good quality photos). Your submissions seem to be set up specifically for weddings (based on # of photos needed, etc).

Thanks so much for your time!

Sara
    Country Cake Shop

159. amanda says:

do you publish Canadian weddings?

160. Ok, this was SO helpful. Would love for my work to get published via Style Me Pretty. Interesting about the Black and White photos not being preferred. It makes sense, colors are always more attractive! But for some reason I always swoon over a beautiful B&W dreamy photo :]

161. Tait says:

Hey Emily

You can always submit your wedding to us using our submissions server

If your wedding has some create details or cost saving tips that budget brides would love then mention that in the description.

Hope to see you submitting!

Tait

162. Tait says:

Hey @Nathan,

If you are still interested in feedback on why your submission was declined please email submissions-help@stylemepretty.com

thanks!

Tait

163. Elin says:

Thanks for being so informative – and in a fun way too! Smiled while reading this. This applies to most wedding blogs. Although I would love to post tons of awesome party images (as I believe it’s the people that really does the wedding, not the decorations – although they are aesthetically pleasing) the viewers simply wants inspiration to their own weddings. And that’s quite understanding…

164. Grace Sears Photography says:

This is by far the best submission guidelines I’ve ever read. I really appreciate the work that was put into this, unfortunately a lot of other magazines/blogs don’t take this approach. It’s to the point but more importantly it gives off a positive/friendly approach. I hope one day in the future I will be featured in your magazine. Cheers!

165. shai says:

Good day!

Do you accept submissions from another country? Im from the Philippines. :)

Thank you.

166. Tait says:

@shai, we would love to publish more wedding from the Philippines. Please send them our way!

167. Janelle says:

Hi!
    I am working with a couple that is getting married in June. Do you feature gay weddings? One of the grooms is really into details and I know this will be a fabulous even that features Cape Cod. I’d loooove to submit them!
    Thanks!
    Janelle

168. Janelle says:

Hi!
    I’m not sure if the last email went through. Do you accept gay weddings?
    Thanks!

169. Tait says:

@Janelle, we do indeed publish same sex weddings our SMP. I dare say we’ve published more same sex weddings than just about anyone.

170. Andrea A says:

thank you for all the tips! great to know!

171. Laurel says:

Glad to hear you accept photos with models of all different shapes and sizes…refreshing to see and hear. Well done Style Me Pretty.

172. Alisha says:

Thank you for this blog post! It’s awesome to have simple but clear guidelines on how to be published on SMP. Definitely bookmarked for future use :)

173. Thank you for this blog post!

174. shellisa says:

Hi..
    I’ve been a long time reader of SMP and found SMP to be a great reference while planning my own wedding which took place last month. :)
    I’m just wondering if you accept submission for wedding outside of US? coz if you are, would really love to submit the details of my wedding in Bali.. :)
    thanxxx

175. Paula Vekony says:

Hello SMP,

My fiance and I are getting married in Budapest, Hungary 6th June 2015.
    I love your blog and find it very inspirational!
    My question is;Do you take submissions outside of the USA? If you do I would love to give it a go. :)

Xx
    Paula

176. Hi there…would you accept a submission from a wedding held at the Tower of London in England? It was a fantastic wedding, with the reception in a River Thames Luxury Crusier…

Look forward to hearing as I’d love to submit,
    Thanks,
    Darren

177. Beatriz Palacio says:

I would like to know if I can submit a wedding that took place in Latin America

178. Erin says:

I am having trouble adding vendors who don’t have a url. Has anyone else had the same problem? Very few of my vendors have their own website….

179. sam wilson says:

Hello! I just submitted our wedding, but prior to submission none of our photos were viewable. It showed that they all uploaded but I couldn’t actually see them. So I just wanted to check and make sure that they are viewable to whoever needs to see them.

Thanks!